Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fix It! Grammar Review

Fix It! Grammar Review



Vendor: 


Age: 
3rd grade and up

Price: 
Teacher Manual $19
Student Book $15


Fix It! Grammar Review
About:
Fix It! Grammar is a complete grammar program from Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW). This is a 6 book series, with each book being a 33 week long lesson plan. Each daily lesson takes about 15 minutes to complete.  You search the short passage for mistakes and correct them.  These passages also build together to create a story. Each week you are learning a different topic that you will implement into those daily lessons and corrections. The teacher's manual is 228 pages long and gives all the instructions you need. It also gives you tips on teaching the lesson to your child as well. The student book is 126 pages long and contains grammar cards that are on card stock. Also, if you purchase the teachers manual you get the student book download for free. Both books have a glossary in the back with words from the work.

How we used:
I used this with my 9 year old.  She is a super speller and very smart in a lot of her work.  However she hates writing and making stories so we have slacked in the whole grammar program.  Getting this review was great because you are getting your child to write and entire story before they even know what they have done.  They are writing it one sentence at a time.  Then by the end they have made the whole story and it is not so overwhelming to look at. So each week we would sit down and go over the new topic.  I would read over the teacher book and give her some of the tips that were in there.  She would then open her own book, read the instructions and do the sentence for the day.  I would then go over her work and correct anything that was wrong and talk to her about how it was wrong and how we could fix it and why. Only spending 15 minutes a day on something that can be tedious was a God send for us.  My kids like to get frustrated when they have to sit for a long time going over something, especially once they have figured it out. This one allowed her to go in and get her sentence for the day done and move on to something else.

My favorite part was the tips that the teacher's manual had.  I will be the first to say that I suck at grammar.  When I went to high school I did the bare minimum in classes to graduate so I never had any kind of English class after 10th grade.  I did not care to pay attention to how I was writing because my other classes did not care either. I do not want my daughter to be like this but sometimes I have a hard time explaining things to her to make her understand it when in reality I barely understand it either.  So having actual tips versus normal instructions on teaching was a blessing.

You can also take the Placement Test to see what book you should start at and then watch the Webinar to understand how the program works.

Be sure to check IEW on social media, they have some great postings.



Click to read Crew Reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment