Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Ingredients
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of super washing soda (Arm & Hammer) AKA sodium carbonate
1 one bar of soap or one cup of  bar soap finely grated. I grate mine with a cheese grater and then use the food processor to make it even finer.

Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly blended. Use one TSP per load, or two for towels or heavily soiled clothing.


Some notes:


What better way to save money and do something better for the environment by using phosphate free ingredients.

I can safely use my grey water to water my yard and garden and save water as well.

The Zote bar soap can also be substituted with Ivory or Fels Naptha, basicly a soap with no added fragrances and oils.


Super Washing Soda AKA sodium carbonate, is very difficult to find. Summer time is the best time to get the soda porton of this and stock up. You can usually get this from hardware stores or in the pool section at Wal-Mart.  I also have Soda Ash if you can get your hands on that.

Bar soap- I have researched the best bars to use and they include; Zote (home depot), Fels Naptha (Winco & ace hardware), Ivory, & Irish spring. I would stay away from moisturizing soaps as they could leave oils on the clothes.


It can be used in in front loading washers and is actually preferred as it is low sudsing.


I sore these in the rubber made totes to keep dry and kids out of it.


I also have hard water and this works great still, as well as I only use cold water to wash in.





~any tips or variations to this feel free to comment~

No comments:

Post a Comment